That show is what I knew pageants to be about. And, I knew I had no interest in getting Addyson involved in anything like that. A few talks with Toni about life and how she found her confidence when she began competing in pageants, and I was intrigued. In passing conversation with Addyson, I asked what she thought about pageants....not missing a beat, that girl said, "I want to do it!". Secretly, I had hoped that she might say no. I was nervous. I didn't want my girl competing for "beauty". I later learned that would not be the case.
So, we registered and jumped right in. A quick 20 minute practice with Toni on what to do and how to stand on stage, and the next 3 weeks flew by. We practiced 3 times for about 5 minutes...the walk, the stance, the smiles.
Pageant day came...
I decided to make a fun mommy/daughter weekend out of it and booked us a room at the Marriot where the pageant was held. We skipped the younger girls' competition that morning for a trip to the Disney Store...we were not "all in" so to speak.
We were fixing hair, watching cartoons, snacking on candy, and painting nails in our hotel room...and we were both having a blast...and I was soaking in this fun, rare one-on-one time with my big girl....not thinking too much about competing.
Then, it was time for her first time on stage....by herself. My face was 12 shades of red...apparently I suffer not only from stage fright, but daughter-induced stage fright as well. I did NOT let her see my nerves...she was as cool as a cucumber....AND THAT GIRL ROCKED IT.
I was beyond proud. And, in that moment, watching how excited, proud and pumped she was after getting off that stage, I knew what all of Toni's hype was about. It wasn't the trophies or crowns that might be to come...it was that moment where she felt confident and proud.
She continued to bloom on that stage...in front of all those people...she amazed me. And, in those three times on stage she must have amazed the judges too.
The crown and trophies were just icing on the cake. Addyson had already won in my book.
6 comments:
I have chills. Such a little sweetie. She will always have that confidence because she has a fabulous Mommy and Daddy. Never a doubt those judges would see how beautiful she is inside and out! Love you!
oh i forgot to leave my name...i'm not a random stalker...it's just becca!
I'm with Becca...that brought tears to my eyes! What a beautiful girl and what a great experience that was for her. This post has definitely given me a different perspective on pageants. Thank you for sharing :)
My jaw was on the floor reading this. I never would have EVER thought you would do something like this. However, I will say, I am not surprised to see all those medals, trophies, crown, flowers, etc....I KNOW she was the cutest one there! Way to go Addyson! Proud of you.
I am very proud of you Addyson, not for just winning but for how beautiful you are inside. And we all know you have a beautiful face!
I'm glad you & Mommy had a great weekend!
Love & miss you bunches!
Nanny
Way to go, Addy! This sounds like a great confidence-builder.
Love,
Meme
Post a Comment