August 6, 2008

Change of Pace

I've slowed down on the potty training boot camp. Addy and I had our worst 2 days ever yesterday and Monday. I didn't like who I had become. And, Addy kept asking to "go home now". The move has really hit her over the past 2 weeks. I think she thought that we were on vacation at this house. It broke my heart to hear her crying so hard asking to go home after we had a huge issue with the potty. So, we have slowed down and are taking a different approach. I don't think the "drill sargeant" (3 day potty training) way works with Addy and it definitely doesn't work for me. I think I scared her away from the potty more than anything. So, we are trying a different approach. It may take a little longer than 3 days, but I don't think it will cause as many tears and that's totally worth it to me.

5 comments:

Bethany Patton said...

You know, you gotta do what works for you guys...good luck...we'll be praying for you.

Anonymous said...

I think that's a great choice! I tried sooo many methods...potty training in a day(boot camp) and all types of rewarding systems. I bought the books and the musical potty that played a song when you used it. If I had to do it over again I would just wait until mine were ready. Some kids just develop later than others and that's ok!

Tracy Williams said...

Thanks gals! I feel like I am making the right choice and I appreicate the encouragement! She'll get it one day and it doesn't have to be tomorrow! ;)

Nanny Tucker said...

Don't worry about it, she will do it when she gets ready. It is not worth the fight.
Love you,
Mom

Finch Family said...

Let me know what you are trying...we are still having trouble with Catherine as well. I have pretty much quit trying for now. I'll try again after Lauren starts school. Hang in there! :)